Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Review of Red Rain by R.L. Stine

Overall I would give this book 7/10



R.L. Stine was by farm my favorite author as a child.  I read every goosebumps and even now I think back to how scared I was while reading those old books.  When I picked this one up I had extremely high expectations and was very disappointed.  As I read through the book it was easy to see Stine's career had been geared to children.  The writing was very simplistic.  My guess is this work would be considered to be in the 8th or 9th grade reading level.  

Getting past the simple writing I found the story enjoyable.  The two demon children were very well developed and had mannerisms which felt real.  I absolutely loved when they said "Don't you know?" after every comment.  Something this small may not seem like character development, but it really added to the life of the children.  The grownups were decent, but not nearly as developed as the children.  I really didn't like the fact they were both writers.  I felt an author writing about two authors was lacking creativity.  

The story line was very impressive in the beginning.  He jumps about midway through the book and gives the first chapter.  Then he drops back in chapter 2 starting from the beginning.  This gives you a reason for reading since the beginning is really slow.  I wouldn't be this harsh on a less famous author, but like I said previously I was expecting this novel to blow me away.  

There was another thing I enjoyed about this book.  Lea the mother of the family was a blogger.  Some of the chapters rather than being fiction writing were blog posts.  As a blogger myself I found this very interesting and enjoyable. 

The saving grace of this book was the ending.  I will not get into what happens, but I will say the ending in itself saved this book from a much lower rating.  Personally with my experience in literature I have found it easy to guess the end, but this book blew me away.

The next review will be Dance With The Devil by Sherrilyn Kenyon:


No comments:

Post a Comment